People, this recipe is amazing! I've made five or six different variations of this dish, and it never gets old. It's sweet, savory, smoky, and tangy all at the same time. I love making it with gnocchi just because it cooks so fast and makes it a little bit heavier, but you could make this with any type of pasta. If you are a goat cheese or butternut squash lover (like I am), then I promise you will love this!
Sage & Butternut Squash Gnocchi
1 package gnocchi
1/2 large butternut squash, diced
3 smoked bratwurst ( or sausage, or whatever else you like)
1 tsp sage, chopped
1 sml package of goat cheese (or however much you feel appropriate)
Salt and pepper
1. Cook the butternut squash in a large saute pan in olive oil until browned and soft - about 10-15 min on med high heat.
2. Add in the bratwurst until browned.
3. Add the sage and cook for a few minutes.
4. Cook the gnocchi in boiling water according to instructions. I find that once a few start to float to the top, they are done. Drain.
5. Stir the goat cheese into the gnocchi until it is melted. You might need to add a little of the pasta water or some milk to make it thinner.
6. Stir in the squash mixture carefully, so as to not make it too mushy.
7. Garnish with some more sage and enjoy!